This blog is not mobile friendly. We recommend reading in landscape mode or using a PC or tablet. We're so sorry for your inconvenience. We'll try our best to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Far



Far is either an an adjective or an adverb. [Comparative: further* ; Superlative: furthest*]. The adjective and the adverb have the same form. Far refers basically to distance. Far means "a long way (away)". Far is the opposite of near.

There are two less common comparative and superlative forms farther and farthest. But we can always use further and furthest instead.

1. The adverb far

Far expresses distance in questions and negatives.
(1) "How far is it from London Airpot to central London?" "Not far. It's about 10 miles."
(2) "I'm going home now." "Do you have far to go?" "No, I don't live (very) far from here."

A long way is used in positive statements, instead of far (away).
Ex: "Do you live far (away)?" "Yes, I live a long way (away) from here." (Not: "I live far (away) from here.")

2. Far as an adverb of degree

As an adverb of degree, far goes before too and comparative forms.
Ex: "Sam's grandfather used to be a far better golfer than I am." "Yes, but he's eighty. He's far too old to play golf now."

Here far means the same as much.

3. Far as an adjective

Far comes before a noun and is quite rare.
Ex: I hear an explosion at the far end of the street, but I didn't see what happened. (the far end = "the other end")

4. Further and furthest

Further and furthest can be adverbs.
(1) I've run 8 miles - I can't possibly run any further!
(2) "Who walked (the) furthest?" "We did. We walked 15 miles."

Or, further and furthest can be adjectives.
Ex: "Where's the post office?" "It's the furthest building on the left, at the end of the street."

5. Idioms

Far is often used with an abstract meaning.
(1) He really went too far when he called me an ugly old ox. (go too far = "be too extreme")
(2) That child will go far: he's only 16, and he already has a place at the university. (go far = "be successful")

I hope this article helps. If you have any question, please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment