This blog is not mobile friendly. We recommend reading in landscape mode or using a PC or tablet. We're so sorry for your inconvenience. We'll try our best to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Indirect command



When we put an IMPERATIVE sentence into INDIRECT SPEECH, we usually use verbs like advise, ask, order, tell, followed by a TO-INFINITIVE CLAUSE.

Direct Indirect
Give me the money. He told me to give him the money.
He ordered me to give him the money.
Come in, please. The boss asked me to come in.

For a Negative Imperative, we put NOT before to:
DON'T + Verb ... → ... NOT TO + Verb

Direct Indirect
Don't sit there! I told you not to sit there!
Don't worry. I advised him not to worry.

We also use the INFINITIVE for INDIRECT SPEECH with REQUESTS, INVITATIONS, etc. [See FUNCTIONS.]

I hope this article helps. If you have any question, please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment