This blog is not mobile friendly. We recommend reading in landscape mode or using a PC or tablet. We're so sorry for your inconvenience. We'll try our best to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Present Simple Tense



When we use a Present Tense main verb and no auxiliary verb, the form of the verb is called Present Simple, for example, come, comes.

The Present Simple is the most common way of expressing present time. It has three major meanings and two "special meanings".

In questions and negatives, however, the Present Simple is formed with do + main verb.

1. Forms of the Present Simple

1.1. 3rd person singular subjects vs all other subjects

Form :
1. Subject + Verb [ Verb pattern 0 : N + V ]
2. Subject + Verb + Object [ Verb patter 1 : N + V + N ]

In the table below I'm going to show only Verb pattern 0 : N + V

3rd person singular subjects All other subjects
She works. I work.
Sam (= he) works. You work.
His best friend works. His best friends work.
The boss (= he or she) works. We work.
The telephone (= it) works. They work.

Note (1): [on how to pronounce and spell the -s form, see Pronunciation of endings, Spelling.]
Note (2): Note the following irregularities with the primary verb BE, HAVE, and DO:
be have do say
I am have do say
We / You / They are have do say
He / She / It is /ɪz/* has (strong /hæz/, weak /həz/ /əz/)* does (strong /dʌz/ weak /dəz/) says**

* [See also Contraction of verbs and negatives.]
** The irregularity here is in the pronunciation: /sez/.

1.2. How to form Questions

In questions, we use do or does before the subject:
DO + SUBJECT + Verb
Ex: What do you want?

DOES + SUBJECT + Verb
Ex: Does Sam smoke?

1.3. How to form Negatives

In negative sentences or clauses we use do or does followed by not or -n't:
Ex: They do not like ice-cream. | This lamp doesn't work.

2. Three important meanings of the Present Simple

2.1. A present state

The Present Simple often indicates a state which exists now. For example, it refers to a fact which is always or generally true.
Ex:
(1) The sun rises in the east.
(2) Some farmers have a difficult job.
(3) "Are you from Singapore?" "No, I am Japanese."

The Present Simple can also refer to states which could change.
Ex: "Where does Sam live?" "I'm sorry, I don't know. I think he lives in the next street."

2.2. A present habit

The Present Simple can also refer to "an action we repeat regularly", is that, a habit or custom.
Ex:
(1) "What do you do on weekends?" "Well, I get up at seven, have breakfast, walk to the station, and catch the train to work. I arrive home from work at about six o'clock."

(2)
A: I'd like to buy a present for my wife.
B: Does she drink beer?
A: No, she doesn't.
B: Does she go shopping?
A: Yes, I sometimes go shopping with her.

The Present Simple can be used with frequency adverbs like always, never, sometimes, ever, usually, often, frequently.
Ex: "What do you do at weekends?" "Well, I don't work at weekends, so I usually go shopping on Saturday. In summer I sometimes go fishing and in winter I often play football. I never go swimming. I hate it."

2.3. A present event

This meaning of the Present Simple is less common; it refers to an event which happens at the very moment of speaking, for example when we describe what we are saying as "offering", "accepting", "begging".

Form: I / we + Verb + ...

Ex:
(1) I regret that I made a mistake.*
(2) We accept your kind offer.*
(3) I beg you to be more careful.*

* These are rather formal.

The "event" meaning of the Present Simple is found also in:
(1) newspaper headlines
Ex: Italy wins World Cup. | Monkeys escape from London Zoo.

(2) sports commentaries (for example, football)
Ex: Ronaldo passes the ball to Messi.

3. Two special meanings of the Present Simple

These meanings are called "special" because in them the Present Simple describes not present time, but future or past time.

3.1. Refering to past time

The Present Simple sometimes refers to events in the past. This is called the "Historic Present" and is used in telling stories. The Present Simple makes a story more exciting and like real life.

Ex: So she comes through the door, and he says "Where were you at 10 o'clock?" She replies "Whit Jack." His face goes white with anger.

Generally, however, we prefer the Past Simple.
Ex: So she came through the door, and he said ...

3.2. Refering to future time

The Present Simple can refer to the future in the following cases:
(1) in describing fixed or planned events.
Ex:
(a) Tomorrow is Sam's birthday.
(b) His plane leaves at 7 o'clock this evening.

(2) in IF-clauses, WHEN-clauses, etc.
Ex:
(a) If I hear any more news, I'll let you know.
(b) I want to be like Ronaldo when I'm twenty-five.

This use of the Present Simple is not very common, so in general it is best to avoid it, except where it is required, for example, in ADVERBIAL CLAUSES of time, and CONDITIONAL CLAUSES. Here are some examples where the Present Simple is not used:
(1) Don't worry, I'll do it tomorrow. (NOT: ... I do it tomorrow)
(2) I promise I'll phone you on Saturday. (NOT: ... I phone you on Saturday)

I hope this article helps. If you have any question, please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment