This blog is not mobile friendly. We recommend reading in landscape mode or using a PC or tablet. We're so sorry for your inconvenience. We'll try our best to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Advising, advice


How to give someone advice? 

In giving advice, these patterns are useful:
1. If I were you, I'd + verb ...
2. Why don't you + verb ... ? OR: Why not + verb ... ?
3. I('d) advise you to + verb ... (this is most formal).
4. Imperative is most informal. For example: Go! Come here! Sit down! etc.

Let's see examples below:
Person A: I hate my job. It's so boring. I have few friends, and I don't meet many people.
Person B: Why not advertise?
Person C: I advise you to take up sport.
Person D: Why don't you join a club or someting?
Person E: If I were you, I'd look for a more interesting job.
Person F: Get yourself a pet, my friend.

Note: We can also use should and ought to for giving advice because they're more polite.

I hope this article helps. If you have any question, please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment